Râșnov is the second biggest city in the depression of Land of Bârsa, where the Carpathian Mountain curves from N to W.
Since ancient times the place where is Râșnov located today is known as Cumidava. A Dacian city founded around 1st century BC. The place is remarked among “the shiniest (as in flourishing) town from Dacia” by Claudius Ptolemy, the Greek mathematician, astronomer, geographer and astrologer who came from Alexandria, Egipt around 150 AD.
From the east Carpathians to Sarmizegetuza Regia the old capital of Dacia, Cumidava seems to be the written sources of the world. The settlement lent its name to the castrum erected by the Roman conquerors. The ancient fortress was located at ca. 4 km from nowadays Râșnov.
Between 1211 – 1225 the Land of Barsa was ruled by the German Saint Order, the Teutonic Knights, it seems that the first Saxon colonist have their origin from the left shore of Rhine, from Rosenau, an Koblenz area possessed by the order. In this way the German name Rosenau, The Valley of Roses may be a memory of the first German colonists. On the other hand, the rose has been the town symbol since Middle Age.
In 1331 is the first documentary attest of Middle Age Râșnov, under Rosnoy name, in a document emitted by Carol Robert of Anjou the King of Hungary speaking of the nobleman Nicolaus Magnus birth place.
In 1335 is the first documentary attest of Râșnov Fortress is about a powerful fortress which can resist the enemies and saves the life of the people who had a shelter here during the Tartar invasion.
In Rasnov one can find the oldes Orthodox Church in south – eastern Transylvania: the Romanian Orthodox church which has St Nicholas as its patron saint. It seems that this ecclesiastic building was erected in the 13 century as both altar and small nave belong to this architectural stage. In 1384 year which is also written on the back of the church temple, in the altar, the church is rebuilt whit financial support from the ruler of Walachia Radu the 1st. The Evangelic Lutheran Church dates back to the beginning of the 14 century is preserved until the present day.
Even since its opening in 1875, the Town Inn called “ To the Rasnov Citadel ” was used as restaurant hotel and celebration hall. The building representative for the local community of the second half of 19th century was erected in the town Square between 1874 and 1875.
Valea Cetatii Cave is located on the western slope of Postavarul Mountain at 3.5 km from Rasnovand the main entrance is at 790m altitude. In 2010 the cave was arranged for tourism visiting using modern LED technology for lighting and in 2011 inside was organized the first cameral music concert.
In 2009 July 16th in partnership with a private economic trust The Romanian Federation of Ski and Biathlon and the City Hall of Rasnov it started on Valea Carbunarii the build of the Olimpic base for ski – jumping and Biathlon. Nowadays is the first ski-jumping center built at international standards in Romania and one of the most modern in Eastern Europe.
From 27th November 2012 Rasnov is a Touristical Resort and is th 3rd most interested resort form Brasov area after Poiana Brasov and Predeal. The city had obtained this status based on performance criteria required for certification like including location in a natural environment whitout pollution, existence of urban utilities, information services and the existence of tourism promotion and fulfillment of additional criteria for attesting the resort, such as the existence of theaters, cinemas, parks or sports facilities, tourist information centers, organizing turistical, culture and sport events.
We are glad to have you as our guests so please do not hesitate