One of the most valuable monuments of medieval architecture in this country is Corvin Castle. Attested in the documents early in the 14th century, having been actually a defence stronghold. On 18th of October 1409 King Sigismund of Luxembourg granted the stronghold to the Romanian Prince Voicu, for his acts of bravery.
Above all John Hunyadi, Voicu’s son, radically changed it in keeping with the springing up of fire arms, of the new methods of struggle and siege. This is to say that it result an impressive defence fortress meant to resist the onset of large armies. So durring 1446 -1453 new works were carried out which turned the stronghold into a sumptuous castle.
Soon after John Hunyadi’s death, his son Matthias Corvinus, king of Hungary and Croatia, erected the Northern wing of the castele with elegant loggias, buit in the Renaissance style. After that in the beginning of the 17th century Prince of Transylvania Gabriel Bethlen built the Southern and Eastern sides. But at the same time some works altering the old Gothic architecture of the castle were undertaken. From 1724 the castle belong to the state while in 1880 it was declared a historical monument. Far-reaching actions of restoring the castle began in 1956 made by the Board of Historical Monuments and were concluded in 1968.
The architectural outlook of the castle in Hunedoara blends Gothic style with elements of the Renaissance and of the Baroque styles. Today the castle is arranged like a museum is open to visitors.
Ancient times in Transilvania
Located in the west part of Transylvania, Sarmizegetusa Regia which was the capital and the most important military religious and political center of the Dacian Kingdom. Built in the middle of the 1st century B.C. Sarmizegetusa meanwhile located in Hunedoara County, on Grădiştii Hill, at about 1200 m altitude in a naturally protected area. It consists of three parts: the civil settlement, the neighborhoods on the several terraces, the citadel, the sacred area and it was certainly the largest craft center in Dacia.
Once in Sarmizegetusa, its appearance was truly grandiose, almost six kilometers long and the south slope of the mountain was cut into a compound terrace on which the houses were built. Therefore the walls of the fortress were rising on top of the massif, all united by a well-developed network of roads and water installations. In other words it had a defense role for the army and the civilian population in times of danger. As a conclusion, after being conquered by the Romans in 106 AD, they rebuilt it and turned it into the headquarters of Flavia Felix IV Roman Legion that secured the region.
Nowadays Sarmizegetusa is now on UNESCO’s World Heritage list and is comparable with the famous Stonehenge.
Duration ~ 12 h
Included: Transportation & Guiding
Skip the queue
Distance ~ 600 km
Pick-up / drop-off at your location in Brasov
On request different location pick-up point (e.g. your hotel in Bucharest)
Day tour PRICE:
group of 2 persons: 85 € per person
group of 3 – 4 persons: 75 € per person
discount for bigger group please ask for the price