Sighisoara – Biertan Fortified Church – Prejmer Fortified Church
Biertan is home to the best known of all the Saxon fortified churches, high on a hill within two-and-a-half rings of walls. Completed in 1524, Biertan Fortified Church is now on UNESCO’s World Heritage list. Here was the headquarters of the Lutheran bishops from 1572 to 1867. The interior is a late Gothic hall church with an altarpiece comprising no less than 28 panels; the extraordinary sacristy door, with no fewer than nineteen locks, and a room where couples wanting to divorce were supposedly locked up together for two weeks.
Sighisoara is an unusual concentration of medieval architecture in a relatively narrow space, located on Citadel’s Hill. Now it stands as one of the most beautiful and best-preserved medieval fortress in S-E of Europe. Mentioned in a document for the first time in 1298, Sighisoara is actually a burg, a walled town. The wall was built in the 14th century, with a height of between 4 and 14 meters, having in place defensive towers belonging to various handcraft guilds. Of the 14 towers originally built today only 9 remain, the most important is the Clock Tower, with 7 figurines representing the days of the week, is today the symbol of Sighisoara.
Few cities in the world have preserved valuable ancient architectural core like Sighisoara, this is one of the reasons why is strongly recommended to visit this magnificent destination in Romania.
Prejmer village is situated in the Burzenland (Țara Bârsei) in a flat marshy area at approx. 18 km from Brasov. Primary colonization settlement, documented in 1213, Prejmer founded, by tradition, by the Order of the Teutonic Knights. Following the chase of the Knights from Burzenland in 1225 by the Hungarian King Andrew II, the town passed under the patronage of the Cistercian monks of Cârţa (Kerz).
Prejmer had an early right to hold a fair, possessing “jus gladi” witch means ”the right of sward” translated into death penalty but just under the control of magistrates from Brasov also people from Prejmer had the right to choose their free representatives.
The village was divided into districts on ethnic grounds, this division being respected until the beginning of the massive emigration of the Saxons.
The center of gravity of the settlements is the market, with the most important construction, the Evangelical Church. Surrounded by a powerful oval-shaped defensive wall with five cracked towers, doubled by a defense wall and moat. The enclosure includes commission rooms, parochial house, school, fountains, cemetery. Prejmer became the strongest stronghold in the southeastern rural environment Europe.
Nowadays an UNESCO World Heritage monument, Prejmer Fortified Church has the oldest triptych altar in Transylvania, dating from 1450. This fortified church was never conquered by the enemies, today it has the gates wide open for tourists an I would be glad to show you this well preserved fortified church.